- about us
- VIS pioneers group
- executive committee
- annual meeting
- national initiatives
IEEE VGTC Visualization Pioneers Group
The IEEE VGTC Visualization Pioneers Group (VPG) is a part of IEEE Visualization and Graphics Technical Committee (VGTC). A VPG membership brings several benefits:
- Membership in VGTC
- A Visualization Pioneer (VP) ribbon given at the annual IEEE VIS conference to indicate his/her special status in the community. Membership also gives access to the VPG reception at IEEE VIS conference.
Membership in the VPG is a privilege. Members honor their commitment to the future of visualization by supporting the group with their annual dues.
VPG is an earned member category under VGTC.
- Membership is earned after 20 years of contributions to some aspect of visualization. All members of the visualization community are welcome—scientists, engineers, academics, artists, designers, salespersons, marketing representatives, etc.
- Members commit to perform some service to the visualization community. This service may include conference or journal paper reviews, financial support of the mentoring program, serving as a mentor, or some other service as needs and opportunities arise.
- Member dues are USD $50.00 per year and support Pioneer activities including the mentorship initiative and the annual reception. Ten percent of member dues goes to VGTC, which will be applied towards funding awards.
- Members can pay their membership dues online at https://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/51638.
VPG is a networking, mentorship, advisory, and philanthropic organization. We gather yearly at a reception during IEEE VIS to meet old friends, make new ones, enjoy food and drinks, and listen to a distinguished speaker from the visualization community. The annual reception will be held during the IEEE VIS week.
VPs are passionate advocates of all aspects of visualization. We share our opinions with the VGTC to help shape our future direction.
ANNUAL VPG RECEPTION AT IEEE VIS 2014
The location, time, and date of the annual VPG reception at IEEE VIS 2014 is now available. Please visit http://ieeevis.org/year/2014/info/overview-amp-topics/visualization-pion... for full details. All paid members are invited to join the reception.
The VPG consists of:
- VPG Members
- Chief Visualization Pioneer (CVP)—VPG members annually elect one of the members to be the Chief Visualization Pioneer for the following year. The election takes place at the annual VPG reception held at the VIS conference. Proxies from dues-paid VPG members are allowed. The CVP-elect must be approved by VGTC.
- Organizing Committee—A group of five members formed to help plan activities throughout the year. The initial group will be chosen by the VPG founders, and will formulate a replacement policy to be approved by VGTC.
As a social organization, VPG will be self-funded at the outset. We will collect initial membership dues at the door of the reception. Once the group has decided to support more formal activities beyond the annual VPG reception at IEEE VIS, it will seek financial support from commercial sponsors. Depending on the nature of the activities sponsored by VPG, we will also seek support from appropriate government agencies.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAMS
IEEE Visualization and Graphics Technical Committee (VGTC) has recently established the Best Doctoral Dissertation Award program to recognize outstanding academic research and development in visualization and visual analytics. The dissertations must address a topic relevant to visualization or visual analytics. The competition will be administrated by VPG under the auspices of VGTC. The award, to be known as the IEEE/VGTC VIS Pioneers Group Doctoral Dissertation Award, will be presented annually at the VPG Reception held at the IEEE VIS conference. Please see http://vgtc.org/content/ieee-vgtc-doctoral-dissertation-competition for nomination details.
VPG will engage in additional community outreach after 2014. We plan a number of such activities including:
- Pioneers volunteer to give seminars and lectures on visualization in their local school districts. VPG will provide a list of volunteers to selected high schools. High school teachers will be invited to contact the volunteers directly and request a seminar at their high schools. Volunteer activities will be documented on a publicly accessible VGTC/VPG website.
- Pioneers volunteer to bring high school students to IEEE VIS for a few days to a week. VPG will be responsible for securing funding from external sources to cover the expenses of the participating students. Students are required to write a report that describes their impressions of the conference on a publicly accessible VGTC/VPG website.
If you have questions or are interested in becoming a VPG supporter, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Questions about our sponsored events, membership, or how to get your event sponsored by the IEEE Visualization & Graphics Technical Committee (VGTC)? E-mail the VGTC Chair, Klaus Mueller.